Unpopular Truths Your Son Needs to Know
By Barrett Johnson
- The choices he makes now have the power to set the course of his life. He can’t afford to make the “I’m just a teenager” excuse. He needs to know that his life has already started and that the trajectory of his life is being set right now.
- Porn is just as addictive as any drug. Most every man wants to look, but the internet has provided your son’s generation with unlimited accessibility. That’s why 60% of our teenage guys are now addicted.
- Masturbation is a habit that has the power to undermine his future marriage. Our sons need to know that sex is best when it is given, not when it is taken. Young men who have a habit of masturbation are training their bodies and brains to be selfish. And selfishness gets in the way of just about everything in marriage.
- He probably doesn’t need a girlfriend just yet. Most teen romantic relationships are characterized by selfishness and sexual temptation. If the relationship is not going to help him to be more of what God wants him to be, then he’s probably not ready.
- Sexual activity should be saved for marriage. A son needs to know the big reasons why his sexuality is precious and worth guarding. (Hint: It has nothing to do with pregnancy or STDs.)
- Practicing the long-lost art of chivalrous manhood will set him apart. Most guys in our world are consumers of girls. He needs to learn how to be a young man who guards, protects, and honors the women in his life.
- God’s plan for your son’s life might involve doing difficult things. Instead of filling his days with video game adventures and entertainment, he needs to discover the calling that God has for his life. It might be hard, but it will be good.
- Walking with God is the most important thing for him to learn. Through his life, he will hear plenty of voices telling him what is important. Only One voice truly matters. That’s why it’s so important for him know God personally.
- He’s going to screw up sometimes. And that’s okay. Too many young men believe that when they blow it, God is mad at them. So they distance themselves further from Him. Your son desperately needs to know that God offers forgiveness and a fresh start. Every time.
- Life is short and he can’t afford to waste his life. He may not have it all figured out yet (who does?) but your son can start getting his life moving in the right direction now.
These very themes (and many more like them) make up the bulk of The Young Man’s Guide to Awesomeness. Barrett Johnson has created a book that guys will want to read and one that will open up some meaningful conversations between parents and their kids.
The “guide” covers three main themes: (1) How to guard your heart (sexual purity), (2) How to get the girl (principles for relating to the opposite sex), and (3) How to save the world (keys to building a life of significance).
The book has an easy-to-read format, lots of art, and links to 25 videos that will enhance your son’s reading experience. There are also great discussion questions as the end of every chapter so that parents can engage in the process. Learn more about Barrett & Jenifer Johnson at infoforfamilies.com